Ligonier Lumber Company of 1913-1922
Join us October, 24th at 6pm for a presentation by Tom Irwin on the history of the Ligonier Lumber Company. Tom will discuss the railroad line that served the Ligonier Lumber Company from the mountains above Waterford to the mill on the Camp & Conference Center property. From the mill, lumber and other products were shipped on the LVRR to Ligonier and then out of the Valley.
Thomas John Irwin, a seventh generation Ligonier native and member of the Ligonier Valley Rail Road Association Board of Directors, was born in 1949 to W. Shaffer Irwin and Hermina Irwin. He was one of five children raised on McColly Street in Ligonier within sight of the Ligonier Valley Rail Road trains leaving Ligonier toward Mill Creek and Wilpen. The 1967 Ligonier Valley High School graduate authored a term paper on railroads in the Ligonier Valley that foretold a lifelong interest in that subject – logging railroads in particular. Tom graduated from Penn State University in 1971 with a degree in electrical engineering and retired in 2016 after a long career as a project engineer for Allegheny Power in Greensburg (later First Energy).