Children and Families
Children and Family Events
Call 724-238-6451 or stop by to register for our programs.
Registration is open for our Reading Reflections reading challenge which will take place during the month of December. You can register for the challenge at Beanstack. Find Beanstack and your reading challenge here.
Not sure how to use Beanstack? Check out the video Mrs. Oates made to introduce you to Beanstack. Even though video showcases our summer reading challenge, it will apply to all challenges.
Take and Makes
We will take a break from our take and makes for now. Be on the look-out for events happening this fall and winter.
Visit our Event Calendar for upcoming events. Make sure to scroll through the months.
Find 4 Christmas read alouds here. Thank you BrightlyStorytime!
Activities and Resources for Families
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
- The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten challenge is a simple (read a book, any book to your child, with the goal of reading 1,000 before kindergarten) and very manageable endeavor.
- Check out the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten site for more information about the importance of reading aloud to your child.
- Find the Ligonier Valley Library's 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten reading challenge on Beanstack. Once you complete the challenge, let us know and we will dedicate a book in your child's name to add to our collection.
Ready, Set, Snow! Forbes State Forest's Storybook Trail has been updated for the winter with the NEW story 'Snowmen at Night' by Caralyn Buehner.
- The story begins at the forestry office trailhead, located by the kiosk in the parking area. The address to the forestry office is 1291 Route 30, Laughlintown, PA. Follow the numbered story signs to guide you on your storybook trail hike.
- Parking is available anywhere in the forestry office parking lot. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8AM to 4PM. Please call the office for more information at 724-238-1200. The storybook trail is open everyday, from dawn until dusk (even when office is closed). The storybook trail is a partnership of Forbes State Forest and the Ligonier Valley Library.
- Image is of the book, 'Snowmen at Night.'
Brightly provides a list of must-read books for grades 1st through 5th. If you see one that interests you, you can easily check to see if the book you want is in our on-line catalog by clicking here. Even if another library has the book you want, you can request it to be delivered to the Ligonier Valley Library for you to pick up.
Other Important Information
In order to keep our staff and patrons safe, we do have a few expectations while visiting the Children's Department.
- According to the CDC, the incident rate for Westmoreland County is currently high. We reccomend that masks be worn by anyone over the age of 2 while visiting the library.
- At this time we are asking that no food or drink be brought into the Children's Department. This includes items such as lollipops. We would be happy to provide a baggie for anything a child would like to save for later.
- Currently, we have limited items out for children to play with. This will be the case for the foreseeable future.
- Our restrooms are open but at this time the water fountains are shut off.
- We do have our books, movies and even board games ready for check-out. Our hours of operation can be found here.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hestiate to ask by calling the library at 724-238-6451 or emailing the Children's Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
Children's Department Staff
Mrs. Oates and Miss Bobbi are here to help you find the perfect book! You can check out books or enjoy reading a fire truck book in our fire truck. We hope to see you soon!
A Library Card Makes the Perfect Gift!
Here at the Ligonier Valley Library, children can have their very own library card once they turn 5 years old. Stop by and ask us how today. Along with many books, movies and even board games to check-out, there are many free resources available to your child when they have their card. We would love to share those resources with you!
Extra Helpful Links
Check out Wonderopolis...where the wonders of learning never cease! If you or your child have ever wondered about anything, this is the site to help you find the answers.
Welcome To Ready Set Music! Feelings can be hard for children to talk about. Often they demonstrate their feelings before they can use words to share them. This site will help you explore feelings with music.
Check out Ruff Ruffman Humble Media Genius. This site if full of animated videos, quizzes, games and other activities focused on helping kids become more savvy and ethical users of technology.
Empathy is very important. The Blackburn Center Empathy Series is a fantastic resource for families that include read-alouds and activities.
Each week, a kid interviews two experts in a particular topic, one of which is a genuine, credentialed expert, the other a liar. In this fun game show like podcast, see if you can figure out who is telling the truth in the Big Fib podcast. There are many episodes to listen to.