Library Hours

Visit our post on the Ligonier Valley Library's Hours for June 2020: New Library Hours for June

We are closed on most Federal Holidays and for Fort Ligonier Days (2nd full weekend in October).


David Brisendine, Library Director
Heather Oates, Children's Librarian
Shirley Iscrupe, Pennsylvania Room Archivist
Annamae Bolen, Youth Services Librarian
Cherie Massimo, Office Manager
Mary Boyd, Circulation Staff Supervisor
Kathleen Giesey, Library Technical Assistant
Debbie Burt, Circulation Desk Clerk
Amy Moss, Circulation Desk Clerk
Bobbi McDowell, Children's Department Clerk
Sarah Peterson, Pennsylvania Room Clerk


J. Dustin Barr, Board President
Sally Van Ingen, Vice President
Ryan Glista, Treasurer
Stacey Strecker, Secretary

Patricia L. Kennedy
Michael Kuzemchak
Dan McDonald
Ed Morgan
Theresa Gay Rohall
Zlata Ryan
Alice Troy Yslas

Contact the Ligonier Valley Library either by phone at 724-238-6451 or send an email to with questions, comments or suggestions.

If you need information on Children's programs and activities please either call the library at 724-238-6451 or send an email to

Library History

On July 14, 1945, the library officially opened with 200 donated books on the shelves. Using all volunteer help, the library operated under the direction of the Library Committee of the Women's Club of Ligonier until January of 1946, when a Board of Trustees was organized. On March 26, 1946, the Ligonier Valley Library received a charter and was incorporated.

Through the years, the library grew in size and popularity. Originally housed in a tiny rented room on West Main Street, the library relocated several times to accommodate growing collections and services. In 1950, a residence on East Main Street was purchased. Initially, the library was housed on the first floor of the building, but by 1959 it became necessary to renovate the second floor for library use.

Ligonier Valley Library (1950s, Ligonier)

Ligonier Valley Library (1950s, Ligonier)

A plan for the construction of a new library building was announced in 1966. In a letter to the Trustees, Lieutenant General Richard K. Mellon stated that he and Mrs. Mellon had followed the progress of the Library Association over the years with great interest. The Mellon family donated land, financed construction of a modern library building, and established an endowment to help support operations. This generous and concrete response to the needs of the community gave assurance of the continuing growth of this vital institution.

The new library opened in the spring of 1968 and was officially dedicated on July 12, 1968. The Georgian-style building, constructed of local sandstone, is located on the northwest corner of the Ligonier Diamond.